Tarheels During the Civil War

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

J.J. Philips Letter

Letter from J.J. Philips of Co.G 3rd NC Cavalry.



Camp of Co. “G.” 3rd N.C. Cav
Near Stony Creek, Va, Sept. 24th 1864

My Dear Club Mate:
            It was really a pleasure to me to receive your letter a day or two ago, it came very unexpectedly as I had almost given you out ever writing to me. I was glad however to learn that I still retain a place in your memory, and I hope you will write me often and keep me posted in the news at Chapel Hill. I have seen tough times since I left there and let me tell you, Keep out of this war as long as you honorably can if you come in though at any time I hope you will come to this Company, “G” 3rd N.C. Cav it is a very nice company composed of nice young fellows.
            Our Division and some other cavalry went down near City Point in the rear of Grant’s Army a few days ago and brought out several thousand very nice beeves captured about two hundred and fifty prisoners and good many horses. We had a hard time on the raid on our horses day and night without any rest while returning our Company was sent around on different  rout to picket some roads coming in the main road, our Cavalry was traveling when the Yankees pursuing Gen Hampton cut us off from our command we were surrounded by them know not what way to go. Fortunately we met up with some scouts who piloted us out through the woods. You requested me to write you a long letter continuing my life and adventures minutely since I left Chapel Hill but I have not the time this evening. I have been in six or eight fights one or two of the latter Guthrie can tell you about, he has been with us a month or two, but he has seen very little hard service we had just returned from Northern Virginia there is where we suffered so much Guthrie I believe has become disgusted with cavalry.
            I was glad you wrote me concerning the Clubs for I have been anxious to know something of them since I left Guthrie requested me to write him and let him know of our whereabouts.  I wish you would say to him we are near the same place he left us, and I expect him to bring me something good. You must send me something to eat by him, any thing will be gladly received for a soldier here is always hungry.
            Julius Barlow is in the Tarboro Hospital he joined service at the same time I did, came to Virginia and was taken sick soon after he reached here and has done no duty since been in Hospitals all the time. Poor fellow I fear he has consumption. James Battle is with Gen Early in the Valley well I have not time to write more give my very best respects to Jug and all Club mates, also remember me to Chat Bryan Busber tell Chat I see his brother every day and he tells me about Chats badness at home.
            Excuse this apology for a letter for I have written in the greatest haste, burn it immediately after reading
In haste
I remain Your true friend
J J Philips

Address-
Co “G” 3rd Reg N.C. Cav
Barringers Brigade
W H F Lee’s Division
Army Northern Virginia


Source: North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh, NC.

No comments: