Tarheels During the Civil War

Monday, April 18, 2011

George Brandt Letters Part 2

Yorktown Va July 12 1861
My Dear Cousin Jacob
            Your [illegible] communication for[?] Leeds[?] Pemberton came duly to hand & much gratified inasmuch as it gave me a complete idea of the affairs of Harmmusty[?] & I always imagined that our beloved Uncle who has thus far been nothing else to no but a source of great mortification, was the Ringleader in the fray As far as Cousin Salush[?] is concerned the only fault that Karmishy[?] finds with him is in giving work to hands without consulting his Harmmosky[?] first. This is wrong as H[?] should be the best judge of these things I shall write to Karmishy[?] to pay[?] & tell to leave the settlement with [illegible] as well as the paying out to you. As it is out of the question for me to become a furlough the reasons I gave in one of my letters to Henry. I requested Brother[?] Henry to come here there may in all probability be a great Battle fought during his stay about here, and he will have some thing to amuse him, as I shall take him with me in the trenches, and give him a musket by the way of pastime[?].as far as the danger is concern he will only be exposed to the same chances as his oldest Brother, an old soldiers alongside of me was reading the few lines I wrote just now remarked that will[?] just hein[?] through a course of sprouts[?] We have very quiet times here quiet now (and except our usual rations which I enumerated so often) there is nothing stirring day before yesterday while on Dress Parade, 2 fine Heroes ran away with a Brass Cannon and seriously injuring 2 Artillerists and riding on one of the horses and the other setting on the ammunition wagon the horses [illegible] down the canon & carriage part exposed one of the soldiers thrown of the other between the wheels. The whole mess came very near running into the whole of the 5th North Carolina Regiment of Vol to 1150 men who were drawn up in a line of Battle. They stood like a solid wall in view of there danger and never moved an inch. But they turned over before they reached them, such occurences are nothing new these 2 soldiers of the first N.C. Regt were buried yesterday of Comp A. & B. they died from effects of measles & fever. Present my respects to Wilson[?] family Baker[?] family & Powers family. Tell Mrs Powers Eddy[?] is well I have seen him this morning
Your True Cousin George

Source: George Brandt Letters, North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh, NC.

No comments: