I'd like to start a reading list pertaining to North Carolina State Troops. These can be regimental histories, brigade histories, memoirs, etc. Here is what I have come up with so far:
1. Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions From North Carolina in the Great War 1861-'65. 5 volumes. by Walter Clark.
Written by members of each unit of state troops, this is one of the most important regimental history collections available.
2. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865: A Roster. 17 volumes. by Weymouth T. Jordan and Louis H. Manarin.
The 17th volume has just been issued covering Junior Reserves and this set is definitive, with brief regimental and company histories as well the names and service records of each state troop and volunteer. The best of its kind.
3. Lee's Tar Heels: The Pettigrew-Kirkland-MacRae Brigade, by Earl J. Hess.
Excellent brigade history of one of Lee's largest brigades composed of the 11th, 26th, 44th, and 52nd NC.
4. More Terrible Than Victory: North Carolina's Bloody Bethel Regiment, 1861-65, by Craig S. Chapman.
Tells the story of the 1st North Carolina Volunteers (11th NCT), the unit that suffered the South's first battle death.
5. Covered With Glory: The 26th North Carolina Infantry at the Battle of Gettysburg, by Rod Gragg.
Excellent account of the regiments service with a focus on the Gettysburg Campaign.
6. The Thirty-Seventh North Carolina Troops: Tar Heels in the Army of Northern Virginia, by Michael C. Hardy.
7. The 25th North Carolina Troops in the Civil War: History and Roster of a Mountain-Bred Regiment, by Carroll C. Jones.
8. The 55th North Carolina in the Civil War: A History and Roster, by Jeffrey M. Girvan.
9. The Bloody Sixth: The Sixth North Carolina Regiment C.S.A., by Richard William Iobst.
10. The 4th North Carolina Cavalry in the Civil War: A History and Roster, by Neil Hunter Raiford
11. History of the 16th North Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the Civil War, by George H. Mills.
12. The Twenty Eighth North Carolina: A Civil War History and Roster, by Francis H. Casstevens.
13. The Guilford Grays : Co. B, 27th NC Regiment, by John A. Sloan.
14. The Anson Guards: History of Company C 14th Regiment, N.C.V. Army of Northern Virginia, by W.A. Smith.
15. Historical Sketch of the Pee Dee Guards, Co. D, 23rd NC Regiment, 186-65, by H.C. Wall.
16. The Randolph Hornets in the Civil War: A History and Roster of Company M, 22nd North Carolina Regiment, by Wallace E. Jarrell.
17. A Darkness Ablaze, The Civil War Medical Diary and Wartime Experiences of Dr. John Hendricks Kinyoun, Sixty-Sixth North Carolina Infantry Regiment, by Joseph Kinyoun Houts Jr.
18. State Troops and Volunteers: A Photographic Record of North Carolina's Civil War Soldiers, by Greg Mast.
19. Across the Dark River: The Odyssey of the 56th N.C. Infantry in the American Civil War, by Clyde H. Ray.
That's all for today. Will post some more this week. If you know of any others that should be on the list just post a comment or send me an e-mail and I will post them.