Tarheels During the Civil War

Friday, June 26, 2009

Bennett Place

Sorry I have been MIA last few days. I have lived in North Carolina my entire life, and I still haven't explored all of her War Between the States history. Yesterday I went to the Bennett farm in Durham for the first time. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The Bennett farm was the site of the three meetings between Generals Johnston and Sherman to discuss the surrender of remaining Confederate forces. I had always figured that the retreat from Bentonville led Johnston's forces to the Raleigh-Durham area and they surrendered Appomattox style at the Bennett farm. Such was not the case. Johnston's units were spread out around the Piedmont. My ancestor's unit, the 40th North Carolina (3rd artillery) were stationed in High Point at this time. You learn something everyday.

No comments: